Saturday 21 July 2012

Windsor Castle, Bath and Stonehedge

Well, the gals all woke up to sunshine. Of course we should have no rain for the first time in London since we arrived.(i think it's because we sat on the coach for a fair bit today) We were greeted by our delightful Scottish tour guide John Steele. He is an actor (isn't everyone) by trade. He kept the girls interested and engaged.

I have made it my mission to find everyone on the plane, train, coach and tube sleeping. The girls may try to tell you they didn't sleep, but they did and I have proof.

The Trip of Time Travel back 5000 years.

Our first stop was at Windsor Castle. The Queen was in residence, however we had no sighting. We did get to experience the changing of the Guard at the castle. It was as great as I had hoped. We didn't get to see it at Buckingham Palace, but I think we probably got alot closer than we would have at Buckingham. We got to view Queen Mary's dollhouse. It was every girls dream, young and old alike. It had everything, including Linen rooms, silver rooms with the iron cage and the lower level wine cellar with teeny tiny wine bottles and kegs. We toured the state rooms and visited St George's Chapel (where all the King's and Queen's of GB have been buried). They have even had a few weddings there, I suppose the most notable for most would be Prince Edward.

Next we were off to Bath. I have most wanted to visit there, because of my love of Jane Austen. It was both quaint and exquiste. What I didn't know was it is marked as a World Heritage Sight. As we drove thru Bath to our drop off spot we passed the Jane Austen museum. The bus driver slowed right down for me to take pictures and he must have caught the gentleman's eye from the driver seat, cause he stopped and Mr Darcy himself got on the bus and I got my picture take with him. I can't wait to go home and reread the books.

We toured the Roman Bath and Aly and I broke the rule and felt the water. It comes up to the surface at 46c. It was really quite hot. I'm not sure what the girls got out of it, but I thought it was really interesting. The girls wanted snacks and got to try the local specialty of Pasties. Many different flavour options were available. My selection was bacon, leek and cheese. The pastry of the pasty was the absolute best i've ever had.

Back on the bus to Stonehenge. It was a bit of a drive but worth the trip. It really is in the middle of nowhere. You drive down these magnificent windy roads and all of sudden you crest a hill and there it is. I know the girls say awesome, sweet and cool. But OMG. There it is really in the middle of farmland. Thankfully the day was brilliant and sunny, otherwise it would have been wet, windy and miserable. But still OMG.

Back home tomorrow. The girls young and old are looking forward to coming home. The trip has been awesome. The girls have all individually truly touched me. We have had many, many, many laughs. Many at each other but mostly with each other. I'll be honest there have been tears, some as early as the plane ride out of Thunder Bay. But the tears are not what these beautiful girls are going to come home remembering. Hopefully they will come home a little more independent and yearning for more travel adventure. (A few are already asking "where are we going next time")

See you tomorrow night mums and dads.
xoxo
Mommy hugger Cas






-


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:England in the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland

No comments:

Post a Comment